Tuesday, December 4, 2012

BEWARE:If your kids aren't sleeping during naptime

The image and content in this post may not be suitable for all audiences.

It was a lovely Monday, with blue skies and temps in the mid-60s (not bad for December eh?). I had a fairly productive morning despite a few squabbles between the ladies over some plastic monkeys. So, you know those activities that we all dread, like balancing your checkbook, cleaning the toilet, and, of course, finding, copying, printing, and sending out flex spending account substantiation forms along with the necessary receipts so you can get your own money back??  Well, I did complete the latter.

Next, we took a trip outside for a bit to absorb the warmth and sunshine. We hit the road to do some errands and the girls were very well behaved, even when they had to share one of those cars that are attached to the carts in the grocery store. We did have a sippy cup go overboard; I didn't realize it until we got back to the car; it's probably nestled in with the bottom row of (let's tempt your kids) candy in the check out line. But other than that, nothing extraordinary.

We get back home and it's nap time.
This is where it begins.
The jumping. The laughing. Mom going upstairs, opening the door and saying "nap". This goes on for about an hour, and then I decide to stop going into their room. I hear them awake- talking, giggling- but I still let them be. After 45 minutes, I figure I might as well just get them up.

As I approach their room, there is an odor wafting from under the door... I enter, and before I turn on the light I know someone has done their deed. This is fine, they are in diapers, and *!@$ happens right? Well, I turn on the light and I was frozen. The girls wore huge grins and were saying "good morning, good morning!" (which they say whenever they wake up regardless of the time of day). Both of my children were wearing no pants, no diapers. One of my children was also wearing an exorbitant amount of....feces. It was in her hair, all over her face, on her hands, and almost completely covering both her legs from thigh down to her toes. It didn't end there. There was #2 all over her sheets and blankets, and virtually every single slat on the front of the crib (both sides of the slats mind you). There was crap on the curtains, the cushioned rocker, the carpet, and all over the books and babies that were once in the crib but were thrown on the floor prior to my arrival. There was excrement on crib #2, on the carpet, and on the cribs dust ruffle. There was POOP everywhere.

Now we have had a few instances where the diapers have come off and we are not happy when we enter the room. But there has never been anything quite like this. All I could do was laugh. I did get my camera. The girls thought this whole thing was hilarious, and apparently there had been a significant amount of playing with the poop. They were saying "cheese" while I was documenting the aftermath. And then I called Dave so find out his ETA as this was going to be a long, long cleanup. Fortunately Dave was on his way. What a way to come home after a long day at work eh? He took his soiled offspring straight into the shower as I began the cleanup.

Dinner was not made; take-out was ordered. I cleaned just the crib for almost 3 hours, slat by slat, first one side, then the other. I tried to do a wipe down right away while it was still "wet" but that didn't do much good as it dried very quickly. It takes A LOT of scrubbing to get this stuff off a wooden crib apparently! The windows were opened, the curtains were washed, the sheets were shaken in the tub and washed, the babies were sterilized, the books wiped down, the floors swept and swiffered, the carpet scrubbed etc. etc.

Four hours from discovery, the cleanup was complete. There is still a bit of a stench (have no idea from where) but hopefully it will fade with a day of windows open tomorrow. I did take several pictures of the destruction, but I figure I will spare future humiliation and keep those in a private folder for now anyway. Let's hope a disaster of this magnitude never strikes again:)

1 comment: