Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Ah, the Memories

When we were driving from the airport on the way to my parents house we passed the playground a couple blocks from their house. As we went by- the girls started proclaiming- "Nico?? Luna??" I couldn't believe it. The last time we saw Nico and Luna was over 5 months ago. And they all went to that specific park maybe twice. And, to top it off, it's not like the neighborhood looked the same- I mean, we were there in July and now there are no leaves and a blanket of white!

It was just a reminder that my kids are truly kids now- no longer my little babies. And they remember stuff!! Uh oh. I mean, of course that's great, but it makes one think... "Have I done anything lately that I just assumed they wouldn't notice (or remember)?" Like, not wash my hands before I eat? Or say something mean to the car in front of me on the road? Or not eat all my vegetables????

On that note, it's no myth that our children are little mirrors of us(especially at this age). And I have seen them do goofy things and wonder... "where did they learn to do that?" such as Lucy saying "Alright!!! OK!!!" or Stella giving a huge "fake" smile with her eyes all squinted. Then I find myself a few days later making a joke to Stella and I can feel my own face making that same smile with squinty eyes. And I notice that after I strapped the girls in their car seats and plop my self down in the driver's seat that I say "Alright! OK!" So once again- "where did they learn to do that?", hmmm, I wonder:)

As far as memory goes...Is there an age that you can safely say memories begin? I don't think so. I remember random events or "pictures" in my past, I don't exactly know how old I was in my earliest memory, but that's hard to say for sure (is it really a memory? Or just a memory of a picture or story I was told?). Needless to say, the girls definitely remember their cousins now (along with Grandma and Grandpa Treiber, Grandma and Opa Thron, Aunt Becky, Uncle Paul etc.) even though there are months between visits. And every day since we have been here (in MN) they ask me where their cousins are and when we can play!!
Nico, Luna, Lucy, Stella, Opa

Nico showing all the little ladies his iPad
Christmas cookies!!



No comments:

Post a Comment