Thursday, April 5, 2012

I can do anything once... my MRI experience

Head goes in that helmet thing;
then you go into that tiny tube
I had my first MRI yesterday. But it wasn't my first attempt. About a week and a half ago I went in for my appointment with a good mentality (thinking- hey I'm not claustrophobic) and ready to get it over with. They were a bit behind so I was thankful for my Kindle Fire to keep me occupied. Once they called me back I slipped into my fashionable navy blue scrubs that included both pants and a top (no smock without a back)- nice! I was ushered into the "magnet" room and placed on the platform. They moved quickly not really chatting with me much about what was about to happen. They slipped an IV in my arm and briskly instructed me to lie back where they promptly placed a heavy plastic cage over my head... nice (not really). I asked 2 questions: 1) can I have headphones so I can listen to something? (as I heard this was available through my Internet searching) Answer: no; 2) How long am I going to be in there? Answer: 45 minutes (what??!!)

This day's story pretty much ends here. As I was inserted in the tube (a lot smaller than I would have imagined- especially with the 'cage' over my head) I last mere seconds when my heart started pounding (what felt like was out of my chest) and I felt like I couldn't breathe. Wow. So maybe I am claustrophobic. I asked to be let out almost right away. They slid me out and I had to sit up. They took off the helmet, I sat up, and the waterworks started. I was very surprised at my reaction to say the least. And also quite impressed at how our bodies work in unexpected and completely uncontrollable ways sometimes.
Open MRI

Fast forward to April 4. I had rescheduled my appointment at a center with an open MRI this time. I arrive at the center... they are once again behind schedule. I read, I waited... and the longer the wait, the more my mind started wandering to thoughts of freaking out again. While I may be claustrophobic, I am sure a big part of my anxiety is the fact that I have to get an MRI to begin with. I have been experiencing bouts of vertigo for a few months and the inner ear balance tests showed nothing significant. So a brain scan was ordered to rule out the worst.

They call me back. I get into scrubs again. This time not so fashionable; it is the smock sans back this time. I wait another 30 minutes in my backless scrubs in the 2nd waiting room. I finally get into the "magnet" room and get up on the platform. This time they were a little more communicative. They didn't actually say I was going to be in there for 45 minutes, but they said that I would have 15(ish) scans ranging from 90 seconds to 5 minutes and they would tell me when each one started and ended (making it sound more manageable). I was also going to be pulled out halfway through which is when they would administer the IV for the contrast. And of course I could always push the button if I needed to come out. They knew I freaked out last time. I am sure this is not new for them.

So they placed the cage over my head and almost right away I started breathing quickly and my heart starts up again. This time I came prepared with visualizations and things to do mentally to keep my mind occupied.  So I closed my eyes before they started moving me under the machine and I pulled my first image. It was beautiful and ridiculous. I was at a yoga class not to long ago and we were envisioning strawberries (not sure why, but it worked to focus on something). So I imagined a field of strawberries by a blue clear lake... I also added some white wobbling ducks with their ducklings (which actually made me laugh several times). I kept my eyes closed the entire time. I heard the machine was loud, but I had no idea;the machine was extremely LOUD. It was a cacophony of train whistles, boat horns, tornado sirens, and jack hammers. At times it was actually rhythmic, which was kind of comical after a while. At one point it reminded me of a teen rave or something and I pictured my ducks with their glow sticks (definitely ridiculous) and I actually laughed out loud and was worried they were going to have to repeat that particular scan. They  didn't.

After all was said and done, it wasn't super terrible, but I definitely would prefer not to do it again. So now the wait begins.

UPDATE: Everything is normal in my brain apparently (who'd have thought:))- thank goodness!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dani, Your attitude is fantastic. Thanks for sharing the ridiculous part of the experience. Brings a smile to my face, too.

    Karin

    ReplyDelete