Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Blueberries: Ripe for the pickin!

I used to pick raspberries up at our cabin on the great Lake Superior when I was a kid. It seems like every time I have gone back since college, I've been off by a week... or months.

I heard about a farm in Baldwin, MD (Hybridoma) about 45 minutes away from our Baltiscape and we trekked out this weekend. Blueberries were the main attraction but we heard there still might be some raspberries left as well. It turns out we got lucky; they are closed down now until later this summer due to the unexpected rush of berry pickers!


So Lucy and Stella in tow- the contest began... of course, a contest, we are talking about Dave and I here.. two stubborn firstborns who like to win. And our first-born was out helping too! Most of the treasure ended up in her mouth, but who can resist!

There was a bit of a mad rush at the end but we all know how it goes...I won't draw out my victory, but I did indeed win with 3 lbs on the nose of BB, Dave coming in at 2.2 lbs. After the great Blue, Dave hung out with the babes in the shade and I braved the prickly black and purple raspberry bushes (a pint of each in about 45 minutes-is that good?)

No comments:

Post a Comment