Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Are Two Babies easier than One?

So everyone always comments on how hard it must be to have twins; especially when they were
babies. Naturally, when we were in the midst of it, I always said "this is all we know" so in essence, we didn't feel like it was any harder than any other baby situation.

Now that we have had another baby with a different 'personality', I think I may understand where this was coming from. If we had two babies like our current one, our experience would have been quite a bit different. Our twin girls may have been quite the exception.
With the introduction of Greta, came the introduction of constant holding, lots of baby carrier usage, and very minimal time in the bassinet, not to mention any other non-human contraption. We never experienced this with twins. There was not much crying, and both of them were quite content in the pack n play, bouncy chair, swing etc., not to mention many night time hours in their beds.

The irony of course is that while I was pregnant this time around, I joked about how, since we were only having one baby this time, that this one would get a lot more holding time and we may even go overboard on the individual baby attention because, well, we only have one baby, not two. And that we might never be able to put her down! Haha...the jokes on us!!

However, I must say that while it might feel like this "one" baby is harder than the two we had first- the first time, we did not have additional children hanging around. I was not prepared for my little 4 year old helpers. Really not prepared. Still to this day, they are so all about Greta, that I notice I am constantly saying things like "Not while I'm changing her diaper! Not while she's eating! Not while she's crying! Not now, she's happy!" It may have taken nearly 7 months, but I have learned that I have to lay off a bit.
Sure, this baby girl is different than Lucy or Stella... she's Greta!! So not only have I stopped complaining to myself how different things are this time, I am marveling at...well... how different things are this time! I can hold my one baby, without worrying about the other one. I can go to the store or park with my one baby in a carrier, and I can change one baby's diaper (and not have another one in line!) In addition, its OK if her sisters always want to play with her; they are going to look out for her and love her, so I need to suck it up and just let them:)

So were two babies easier than one? Maybe; since the two were first. But really...two babies were different than one. And two 4-year olds and one baby? Well, it doesn't really matter what it is, because its us! And we are getting more creative every day...



No comments:

Post a Comment