Sunday, June 15, 2014

April Celebrations II: Easter

Lucy and the dying of the egg
Easter seemed late this year, towards the end of April. We went to the church at the girls' preschool which is fun since they are very kid oriented, and the pastor knows the girls quite well. We had to make an “emergency” pit stop for the bathroom on the way home. The closest thing that was open was a Dunkin Donuts (lucky us). So of course we had to buy something if we were barging in to use the facilities. We ended up staying in there a while talking with an older woman with some pretty cool red hair. She was very interested in our little red-heads.

When we got home the Easter bunny had come and left baskets under the girls’ loft beds along with the infamous trail of hidden eggs. They were scattered all over the first floor and in our mini back yard. Being the stingy mom I am (or in nicer terms, attempt at healthy-influence mom)- I placed a whopping ONE jelly bean or malted milk egg in each plastic vestibule. And then of course all the candy they found went into a special zippered bag for slow consumption over many weeks. I don’t think my own mother was so strict… I do however remember hiding candy in my bedroom closet fortress on the third shelf where only a child could climb to. It was often forgotten about. I recall coming home from college once and finding a pile of jelly beans next to a plastic pumpkin filled with Halloween rejects (like the black and orange taffy), that for some reason never made it to a trash can.





I also made Easter dinner. Since we usually are in Baltimore for this holiday, I am the cook. I spend an unnecessary amount of time perusing magazines and old cookbooks for what I am going to attempt. This was my third time or so making a ham. I am glad most of them are precooked! This year it was ham with a raspberry jalapeno glaze, mashed potatoes (with a hint of sweetness due to the white chocolate) and asparagus (with a lemon hollandaise sauce). For our post dinner treat we created handmade crepes with strawberries, ricotta, and honey. Sorry, no blog-worthy pictures available for this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment