Saturday, March 5, 2011

Skype video calls make me feel Old!

So let me preface this with the fact that I love Skpe.

That doesn't mean that it still doesn't make me feel a bit old.

Now of course, according to many, I am not old (at least to anyone older than me). However, it is truly insane to be living in this time. My generation of X and Y (of which I am a lovely blend based on which periodical you read) is experiencing one of the greatest technological evolutions of all time- or at least up through this point in time.

I remember buying our first computer at some point in the 80s. An IBM with the infamous black screen and green letters. I remember being really excited in elementary school for computer lab when we got to play the Oregon Trail on the Apple.

I remember typing my first paper in high school on the word processor.

And I remember using the computer lab at school and envying my roommate for having her own. I don't remember using the Internet until I was in college when email had a newly-minted and grand place in my life.

Now, in our cozy Charm City rowhome, in the possession of 6 laptops- some working, some not- we ponder the old days.

OK, well maybe not so much ponder as look back in awe and how so much can change in so short of time.

I remember thinking (when I was young) that cars could not have been invented yet when my parents were kids because they were soooo old. And now, at 32 with my first children, I recognize how I feel in life, and the fact that my mother was also 32 when she had her first child-me. The speed of time is relative to age. And >age the >time goes by.

So this rant was supposed to lead into a conversation about Skype. I am pretty sure I invented the concept of Skype when I was 8, so its unfortunate that someone stole my idea. :)

Skype video calls enables long-distance relationships to thrive as they never had the chance to before! Its great to feel like we are all in the same room and it makes the country seem a bit smaller when trying to connect with family.

Emotionally satisfying-yes; family bonding- yes; some occasional technical difficulties- yes... see below! Will post shortly...

1 comment: