Friday, December 10, 2010

Eggnog, hot buttered Rum, and invisible Christmas trees

Last weekend (first weekend of December) was Fells Point's annual eggnog tasting and tree lighting ceremony. We decided it would be worth packing the girls up and going for an outing. We went to the tasting in 2009 as well- we tryed around 10 different eggnogs (including egg nog cookies); and the bars had spiked nog- which I couldn't try since I was newly pregnant at the time. So this year, with babies in carriers, we were looking forward to tasting a bunch of nogs and maybe even a few spiked samples too. However, for the life of us, we could not find any store that was participating this year- or they had already run out- bummer!

We did manage to visit Santa and Mrs. Claus on Thames Street. They were not your traditional merry pair;they were sitting in a tent drinking natty bohs, smoking skinny cigars, and handing out egg nog with brandy to bundled pedestrians. Needless to say, we did not plop either of our new children in St. Nick's lap.

We wondered over to the pier and watched the Christmas light laden boats in the harbor; and then watched the grand (or not so grand) lighting of the tree- but wait!- I see lights, but where is the tree??!! I know times are tight, but a few strands of lights hanging down to kind of look like a tree was a pretty sad sight.


We decided to stop in Max's for a beer to warm us up; however, when we got to the door they wouldn't let us in- no kids allowed. Now, I know babies in bars are frowned upon by some, but it was 6PM, and it's not like Max's is a crazy party joint- they sell food and have a nice fireplace in the back. Well, we didn't fight it, we just didn't go in. It all turned out for the best as we ended up in Bertha's Mussels (bar) listening to Irish music, sharing a hot buttered rum, with babies sound asleep in our lap (it still amazes me what they can sleep through).

I have never had hot buttered rum before, it tasted good, but extremely rich. I had to ask what was in it. I think one of the owners is the one who told me this- so hopefully it's not a secret recipe or anything!

1 pint dark rum; 1 lb butter; 1 lb sugar; cinnamon, nutmeg and boiling water; and then to serve they add more rum plus the above mixture- wow, sounds healthy eh? I did not have anymore after I heard that!

No comments:

Post a Comment