Sunday, September 19, 2010

Catching up: Part Two- the prego months



I got really lucky with my months of being pregnant; no morning sickness, just headaches. I attribute them to the increased hormone level, and apparently mine were really high- due to the double trouble in the belly.

At about 7 months I experienced excruciating pain in my lower back, which was later found to be sciatica, I would be lying or sitting down and then get up to a stabbing pain which left me virtually motionless. I found that I could hunch over and start walking which would ease the pain, but it had me in tears several nights and in a few embarrassing situations at work- couldn't leave my office a couple times for a good 10 minutes, and I got trapped in the hallway- I pretended I was on the phone:) I asked my doc about it and she kind of blew it off, I thought great, this is what the rest of my pregnancy is going to be like! Well, it turned out I was good a couple weeks later- thank god.

Swelling. This began its first bout at the end of March which was 5 months, but went away with some intake of massive amounts of water. However, once May hit (7 mos), it was pretty much there for good. My feet and ankles looked like elephants. I went up a size and half in shoes ( thank goodness it was flip flop season). I tried raising them, soaking them, putting cabbage around them (I heard that helps engorged breasts so I thought, hey, maybe it will extract water from my feet!) but that did NOT work. In the morning, they looked great, but it took all of 45 minutes for that water to work itself back into my lower extremities. In the last couple months I could even see a line in my calf where the swelling stopped...nice. Advice for other prego moms... do not spend money on too many new shoes while expecting. If you're a sweller, your feet will get huge, and will go down, but will likely stay larger than they were pre-pregnancy, so saveyour cash till postpartum bc you will likely have to buy new shoes anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment